Visit Wairarapa & surrounds, New Zealand
Wairarapa & surrounds, New Zealand
Situated at the foot of the Rimutaka Range, the colonial town of Featherston is the gateway to the Wairarapa wine region.
Close by is Lake Wairarapa, the biggest wetland area in the lower North Island and home to both native and migratory birds. Martinborough is essentially a vineyard village oasis set amongst rolling farmland, with plenty of cafés, restaurants and arts and crafts shops.
After a lunch in the picturesque square the vineyards are all easily accessible for an afternoon tasting tour. To the north is Greytown, a quaint colonial village with a remarkable history.
It was settled in 1854 when five men and one woman crossed the Rimutaka Ranges, with their scant possessions carried by four bullocks. The small shelters and cottages they built can still be seen today.
Places to visit in Wairarapa & surrounds
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Wairarapa & surrounds, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested Wairarapa & surrounds itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Wairarapa & surrounds, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Wairarapa & surrounds
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Wairarapa & surrounds
- Greytown Wairarapa & surrounds
- The Kapiti Coast Wairarapa & surrounds
- Martinborough Wairarapa & surrounds
- Wellington 40 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 74 miles away
- Picton 79 miles away
- Blenheim 85 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 87 miles away
- Nelson 117 miles away
- Hastings 126 miles away
- Kaikoura 129 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 132 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 134 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 134 miles away
- Napier 136 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 151 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 159 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 163 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 169 miles away
- Lake Taupo 173 miles away
- Waitomo 200 miles away
- Rotorua 212 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 218 miles away
- Christchurch 222 miles away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 226 miles away
- Punakaiki 226 miles away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 238 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 240 miles away
- Tauranga 242 miles away
- Hokitika 258 miles away
- Waikato 263 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 277 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 293 miles away
- Auckland 300 miles away
Accommodation choices for Wairarapa & surrounds
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Wairarapa & surrounds. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.