Carmel-by-the-Sea is one of the California's most beautiful seaside hideaways. A world-class destination for golfers, hikers, spa-enthusiasts and gourmets alike, this delightful beachside community boasts white sand beaches, turquoise waters, native Cypress trees and a picture postcard village.
The town is easily explored on foot and is home to some of the region's best shopping, fine dining, art galleries, beaches and parks.
Also worth visiting is nearby Monterey, a short drive away on world-famous 17 Mile Drive, a scenic route that hugs the coast and passes lush golf courses and lavish mansions en route.
Monterey, made famous by John Steinbeck in his epic book Cannery Row, is located on the shores of one of America’s most famous natural ocean sanctuaries and is home to the well-known Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Suggested itineraries featuring Carmel
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Carmel, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Carmel
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Carmel
- Monterey less than 5 miles away
- Big Sur 21 miles away
- San Francisco 89 miles away
- Pismo Beach 122 miles away
- Napa Valley 124 miles away
- Sonoma 124 miles away
- Sacramento 143 miles away
- Yosemite National Park 159 miles away
- Sequoia National Park 187 miles away
- Kings Canyon National Park 190 miles away
- Santa Barbara 194 miles away
- Lake Tahoe 204 miles away
- Mendocino 217 miles away
- Death Valley National Park 270 miles away
- Los Angeles 272 miles away