Visit Chambal Sanctuary, India
Chambal is a land that has retained its unique landscapes, rugged charm and rare wildlife.
A mere 70 km southeast of Agra (home of the Taj Mahal), it is a world far removed from the chaotic madness of modern Indian cities. The valley is fast emerging as an exciting new destination, given its unique and unpolluted habitat and the consequent rich diversity of life forms that it supports.
The National Chambal Sanctuary
In 1979 a 400 km stretch of the river and up to 6 km wide swathes of the ravines on either side of the river was designated the National Chambal Sanctuary to provide protection for the critically endangered gharial (ghavial) crocodiles. Today the varied habitats of the sanctuary are home not only to the gharial but to an amazing abundance of other wildlife, such as the rare and highly endangered gangetic dolphin, marsh crocodile (muggers), eight species of turtle, smooth coated otter, Indian striped hyena, jungle cat, golden jackal, Indian wolf and foxes among others.
A bird watcher's paradise, the Sanctuary currently boasts 311 species of resident and migratory birds including large numbers of the rare Indian skimmer, greater thick-knee, small pratincole and lapwings.
Suggested itineraries featuring Chambal Sanctuary
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Chambal Sanctuary, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Chambal Sanctuary
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Chambal Sanctuary
- Gwalior 70 kilometers away
- Agra 71 kilometers away
- Fatehpur Sikri 96 kilometers away
- Bharatpur and Keoladeo Ghana National Park 117 kilometers away
- Orchha 158 kilometers away
- Ramathra 186 kilometers away
- Ranthambhore National Park 222 kilometers away
- Delhi 246 kilometers away
- Khajuraho 255 kilometers away
- Jaipur 273 kilometers away
- Samode 275 kilometers away
- Panna National Park 283 kilometers away
- Nainital 307 kilometers away
- Corbett Tiger Reserve 313 kilometers away
- Bundi 326 kilometers away
- Almora 335 kilometers away
- Haridwar 359 kilometers away
- Bhainsrorgarh 361 kilometers away
- Rishikesh 374 kilometers away
- Shahpura 384 kilometers away
- Barli 393 kilometers away
- Bandhavgarh National Park 399 kilometers away
- Pushkar 399 kilometers away
- Mussoorie 415 kilometers away
- Chittorgarh 444 kilometers away
- Chhatra Sagar 457 kilometers away
- Nimaj 458 kilometers away
- Varanasi 473 kilometers away
- Satpura National Park 474 kilometers away
- Nagaur 480 kilometers away
Photos of Chambal Sanctuary
Accommodation choices for Chambal Sanctuary
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Chambal Sanctuary. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Mela Kothi — Chambal Safari Lodge is a friendly, family-owned property set within a sprawling 35-acre heritage plantation. Although simple, the accommodation is clean and every effort has been made to make this lodge as eco-friendly and sympathetic to its surroundings as possible.