Visit Doubtful Sound, New Zealand
Even more remote than Milford Sound, Doubtful is equally rewarding: an untouched wilderness of mountain peaks, fiords and rainforest which supports a rich array of bird and marine life, including crested penguins, fur seals and bottle nose dolphins.
The best way to explore these flood-filled glacial valleys is by a leisurely cruise, taking in the awe-inspiring views on every side and overlooked by the imposing Commander Peak at the head of Hell Arm Fiord.
The majority of visitors to Fiordland choose to take a day trip to either Milford or Doubtful Sound, connecting with one of the lunchtime cruises for a scenic and informative trip. The journey can be constructed in a variety of ways, either by driving yourself or by taking one of the excellent coach connections from both Te Anau and Queenstown.
The coaches are state-of-theart, with angled seating and huge panoramic windows allowing for excellent viewing, and full commentary en route. There are also scenic flight connections in and out of Milford.
Suggested itineraries featuring Doubtful Sound
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Doubtful Sound, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Doubtful Sound
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Doubtful Sound
- Te Anau & Manapouri 59 kilometers away
- Milford Sound 104 kilometers away
- Glenorchy 123 kilometers away
- Queenstown 136 kilometers away
- Arrowtown 152 kilometers away
- Lake Wanaka 184 kilometers away
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 195 kilometers away
- The Catlins 214 kilometers away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 230 kilometers away
- Twizel 274 kilometers away
- Dunedin 281 kilometers away
- The Otago Peninsula 294 kilometers away
- Mount Cook National Park 305 kilometers away
- Lake Tekapo 314 kilometers away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 319 kilometers away
- Hokitika 432 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 452 kilometers away
Photos of Doubtful Sound
Ideas for experiencing Doubtful Sound
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Doubtful Sound, and which use the best local guides.
Perhaps one of the finest options in Fiordland, the overnight Fiordland Navigator cruise on Doubtful Sound takes you to some of the national park’s most untouched and inspiring scenery.