Visit Twizel, New Zealand
Twizel, New Zealand
Located near the southern end of Lake Pukaki, Twizel is on the edge of Mount Cook National Park.
The mountain is known to the Maori as Aoraki and is the highest peak in New Zealand and Australasia and the National Park (and World Heritage Site) in which it is found is one of the country's most spectacular, with more than one third of the area permanently covered in snow and glacial ice.
The mountain peaks at 3,754 metres above sea level, towering over the expansive countryside - hidden in the mountains are magnificent glaciers including the famous Tasman Glacier which, at 17 miles in length, is one of the longest glaciers in the world to be found outside the Polar Regions.
Suggested itineraries featuring Twizel
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Twizel, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Twizel
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Twizel
- South Island 17 miles away
- Lake Tekapo 26 miles away
- Mount Cook National Park 37 miles away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 56 miles away
- Lake Wanaka 57 miles away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 59 miles away
- Arrowtown 79 miles away
- Queenstown 89 miles away
- Glenorchy 94 miles away
- Milford Sound 112 miles away
- Dunedin 114 miles away
- The Otago Peninsula 115 miles away
- Hokitika 116 miles away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 117 miles away
- Christchurch 137 miles away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 142 miles away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 146 miles away
- Punakaiki 162 miles away
- The Catlins 169 miles away
- Doubtful Sound 170 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 183 miles away
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 216 miles away
- Kaikoura 222 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 258 miles away
- Nelson 263 miles away
- Blenheim 272 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 273 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 281 miles away
- Picton 286 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 296 miles away
Accommodation choices for Twizel
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Twizel. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This lodge offers luxurious relaxation in the middle of a bustling region of New Zealand.
An eco-lodge with an intimate atmosphere and amiable hosts, Lakestone Lodge offers sweeping views, contemporary rooms, good food and a wide range of activities, as well as a tranquil location.
The secluded situation of the property allows you to thoroughly escape the outside world and use the property to relax and recharge. The key features of skyscape are the wood-fired outdoor bath and the glass walls and ceiling that allow you to easily watch the night sky.
With a superb location in the heart of the Mackenzie High Country, Matuka Lodge enjoys a tranquil, rural setting with spectacular mountain views and beautifully appointed rooms.