Visit Punakaiki, New Zealand
Punakaiki, New Zealand
Located in the heart of the Paparoa National Park, midway between Westport and Greymouth, is Punakaiki, on the ‘Coast Road’, one of New Zealand’s most spectacular coastal drives.
Nearby are the Pancake rocks and blowholes; limestone rock formations that have been transformed by a layering and weathering process known as stylobedding into what look like stacks of thin pancakes. When the tide rises, seawater surges into caverns below the rocks and squirts out in impressive geyser-like jets.
A short loop walk providing fabulous views of the phenomena follows from the road around the rocks. Guided beach, forest and mountain walks introduce the area’s beauty, and in the winter months the rare Westland black petrels return to their colony to breed.
Suggested itineraries featuring Punakaiki
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Punakaiki, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Punakaiki
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Punakaiki
- Hokitika 47 miles away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 60 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 82 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 99 miles away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 116 miles away
- Nelson 117 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 118 miles away
- Christchurch 119 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 122 miles away
- Kaikoura 122 miles away
- Mount Cook National Park 129 miles away
- Lake Tekapo 138 miles away
- Blenheim 141 miles away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 144 miles away
- Picton 149 miles away
- South Island 151 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 158 miles away
- Twizel 162 miles away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 169 miles away
- Wellington 187 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 208 miles away
- Lake Wanaka 211 miles away
- Martinborough 222 miles away
- Greytown 225 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 226 miles away
- Arrowtown 233 miles away
- Glenorchy 241 miles away
- Queenstown 243 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 246 miles away
- Milford Sound 247 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 256 miles away
- The Otago Peninsula 262 miles away
- Dunedin 264 miles away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 292 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 297 miles away
Photos of Punakaiki
Accommodation choices for Punakaiki
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Punakaiki. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Overlooking the Tasman Sea and rugged west coast, the Punakaiki Resort consists of quality hotel rooms and eco apartment units.