Mid-way between Wellington and Auckland on the beautiful west coast is the Taranaki region.
Dominated by Mount Taranaki (also known as Mount Egmont), a ‘perfect’ symmetrical volcano with ice and snow permanently covering its conelike summit, this region is both agricultural heartland and rural backwater, offering superb day treks and wild windswept beaches.
The mountain is the source of over 50 rivers and streams, feeding a host of unique plant species, and is also the subject of many legends. First settled by the Maori people, eight iwi (tribes) found their homes here and to this day remain firmly tied to the land.
The principal centre in the region is New Plymouth, the only deep-water port on New Zealand’s west coast. A city of parks and gardens, it blossoms in the rhododendron season and sparkles in the summer during the annual Festival of Lights.
More than six kilometres of historic coastal walkways line the shoreline, which is also known for its world-class surf breaks and its annual hosting of the World Triathlon Festival. New Plymouth houses an excellent heritage centre, Puke Ariki, an interactive museum displaying over 6,000 Maori treasures as well as wildlife and colonial exhibits.
For those with an artistic flair, the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery has a reputation for adventurous, contemporary pieces, epitomised by the work of the pioneering animator Len Lye whose fantastic ‘Wind Wand’ graces the New Plymouth foreshore.
Suggested itineraries featuring Taranaki & New Plymouth
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Taranaki & New Plymouth, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Taranaki & New Plymouth
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Taranaki & New Plymouth
- Waitomo 78 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 80 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 80 miles away
- Lake Taupo 111 miles away
- North Island 112 miles away
- Waikato 122 miles away
- Rotorua 134 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 135 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 136 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 143 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 145 miles away
- Tauranga 148 miles away
- Hastings 154 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 155 miles away
- Picton 155 miles away
- Napier 155 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 156 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 158 miles away
- Auckland 158 miles away
- Greytown 158 miles away
- Wellington 159 miles away
- Nelson 159 miles away
- Devonport 160 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 160 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 163 miles away
- Waiheke Island 165 miles away
- Martinborough 167 miles away
- Blenheim 171 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 175 miles away
- Warkworth 187 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 212 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 215 miles away
- Kaikoura 233 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 234 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 249 miles away
- Punakaiki 256 miles away
- Paihia 262 miles away
- Russell 263 miles away
- Kerikeri 265 miles away
- Bay of Islands 268 miles away
- Matauri Bay 278 miles away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 300 miles away
Photos of Taranaki & New Plymouth
Accommodation choices for Taranaki & New Plymouth
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Taranaki & New Plymouth. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.