Stretching north from the popular Bay of Islands, the Twin Coast Discovery Highway leads you through some of the Northland’s finest coastal scenery, an area which experiences far fewer visitors and therefore remains sublimely untouched.
The Matauri Bay Loop Road takes you from the main highway out toward the Mahinepua Peninsula which looks out over the picturesque Cavalli Islands scattered offshore.
The loop road skirts several stunning bays including Matauri, Te Ngaere and Wainui, home to some of the Northland’s finest small lodges and pretty, surf-driven sands.
The Rainbow Warrior
At Matauri Bay you can visit the monument to the Rainbow Warrior, the Greenpeace flagship which was deliberately sunk by the French in 1985 and is now a popular dive site.
Map of Matauri Bay
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Matauri Bay
- Kerikeri 14 miles away
- Bay of Islands 18 miles away
- Russell 20 miles away
- Paihia 20 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 53 miles away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 57 miles away
- Warkworth 104 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 117 miles away
- Devonport 134 miles away
- Auckland 135 miles away
- Waiheke Island 138 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 167 miles away
- Waikato 170 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 173 miles away
- Tauranga 223 miles away
- Waitomo 234 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 234 miles away
- Rotorua 252 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 279 miles away
- Lake Taupo 280 miles away
- North Island 295 miles away
Photos of Matauri Bay
Accommodation choices for Matauri Bay
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Matauri Bay. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.