Visit Russell, New Zealand
It requires a massive leap of imagination to consider this peaceful, small township, nestled on sparkling shores in the heart of the Bay of Islands, as the ‘hell hole of the Pacific’, a moniker sprung from lawless days as a whaling station.
The village of Russell maintains a genteel colonial charm. Set amongst lush subtropical bloom, with a selection of excellent restaurants on the calm waterfront, it is a perfect secluded get-away.
Suggested itineraries featuring Russell
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Russell, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Russell
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Russell
- Paihia less than 5 miles away
- Bay of Islands 6 miles away
- Kerikeri 10 miles away
- Matauri Bay 20 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 46 miles away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 74 miles away
- Warkworth 85 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 98 miles away
- Devonport 115 miles away
- Auckland 116 miles away
- Waiheke Island 118 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 148 miles away
- Waikato 151 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 153 miles away
- Tauranga 203 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 214 miles away
- Waitomo 215 miles away
- Rotorua 232 miles away
- Lake Taupo 261 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 263 miles away
- North Island 275 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 286 miles away
Photos of Russell
Accommodation choices for Russell
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Russell. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Eagles Nest is made up of five luxury villas that look out over the Bay of Islands. Each has its own lap pool or spa, spacious rooms and chefs who will design a menu of your choice.
Arcadia Lodge is a large, characterful two-storey house with just five rooms. Its expansive decking overlooking Russell and the bay is the ideal place to enjoy breakfast in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening.