Visit Martinborough, New Zealand
Martinborough was named after John Martin (1822-92), an Irish immigrant who purchased the large Wairarapa sheep station "Huangarua" in 1879.
John created a town just north of the existing settlement giving it street names such as 'Venice', 'Panama', 'Suez' and 'New York' and creating a central square and streets laid out in a Union Jack pattern, all inspired from a world tour he took
Martinborough has now become a unique wine village, popular as a lazy and indulgent weekend retreat for Wellingtonians, with around 30 boutique vineyards, most within walking distance of the charming town square.
The region only produces 3% of New Zealand's grapes, but offers a broad range of styles, particularly known for its pinot noir.
Suggested itineraries featuring Martinborough
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Martinborough, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Martinborough
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Martinborough
- Wairarapa & surrounds 7 miles away
- Greytown 10 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 34 miles away
- Wellington 36 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 72 miles away
- Picton 76 miles away
- Blenheim 82 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 92 miles away
- Nelson 114 miles away
- Kaikoura 124 miles away
- Hastings 132 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 133 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 138 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 139 miles away
- Napier 142 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 150 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 158 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 163 miles away
- North Island 165 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 167 miles away
- Lake Taupo 179 miles away
- Waitomo 206 miles away
- Christchurch 216 miles away
- Rotorua 217 miles away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 220 miles away
- Punakaiki 222 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 224 miles away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 233 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 246 miles away
- Tauranga 248 miles away
- Hokitika 254 miles away
- Waikato 269 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 282 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 298 miles away
Photos of Martinborough
Accommodation choices for Martinborough
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Martinborough. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Martinborough Hotel is a wonderful property ideally located within walking distance of all the central wineries.
Located in the Wairarapa wine region, Parehua Martinborough Country Estate offers spacious and stylish accommodation, and is just a short walk from the historic Martinborough wine village.