Visit Nong Khai, Thailand
The town of Nong Khai is mainly a transit point for journeys into Laos and for further exploration of Isaan Province.
Once a provincial backwater, Nong Khai is now a busy commercial town, having grown in size and importance since the opening of the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge in the early 1990s. A few examples of French-Chinese architecture remain, bearing testimony to its former Laotian rule.
Hindu and Buddhist statues
Just outside of the town there is an interesting collection of imaginative statues built by Luang Pu Bunleau, who left Laos shortly after the Communist Revolution in 1975. The surreal statues depict scenes and characters from Hindu and Buddhist lore, the most impressive being a 25 meter-high Buddha seated on a coiled, multi-headed naga.
Nong Khai has also developed a reputation for serving some of the most authentic and delicious Vietnamese food in the region.
The town also has several comfortable hotels although they unfortunately lack the character of our other options in Isaan.
Map of Nong Khai
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Nong Khai
- Udon Thani 51 kilometers away
- Isaan 54 kilometers away
- Loei Province 118 kilometers away
- Nakhon Phanom 209 kilometers away
- Nan 231 kilometers away
- Phimai 298 kilometers away
- Sukhothai 325 kilometers away
- Chiang Rai 381 kilometers away
- Phanom Rung 394 kilometers away
- The Golden Triangle 408 kilometers away
- Chiang Mai 408 kilometers away
- Khao Yai National Park 411 kilometers away
- Khong Jiam 416 kilometers away
- Fang 436 kilometers away
- Phra Wihan 437 kilometers away
- Doi Angkhang 451 kilometers away
- Ayutthaya 458 kilometers away