Further to the north of Ayutthaya, Sukhothai is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
It is reached as a slight detour off the road to Chiang Mai or by direct flight from Bangkok.
History of Sukhothai
This was the earliest capital of a Thai kingdom that flourished from the early thirteenth century, an era whose religious art and architecture is considered the most classic of Thailand’s cultural influences. In lush parkland settings are countless carved Buddhas, elegant lotus-bud spires and calm reflective lily ponds dating back to the golden age of ancient Siam.
See the ruins by bicycle
As many more of the historical sites lie further afield from the main park, a bicycle is an enjoyable way of seeking out abandoned ruins nestled in the undergrowth.
Suggested itineraries featuring Sukhothai
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Sukhothai, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Sukhothai
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Sukhothai
- Loei Province 209 kilometers away
- Chiang Mai 209 kilometers away
- Nan 223 kilometers away
- Pai 301 kilometers away
- Ayutthaya 306 kilometers away
- Udon Thani 321 kilometers away
- Chiang Rai 323 kilometers away
- Mae Hong Son 324 kilometers away
- Nong Khai 325 kilometers away
- Fang 331 kilometers away
- Kanchanaburi & The River Kwai 334 kilometers away
- Doi Angkhang 334 kilometers away
- Isaan 341 kilometers away
- Khao Yai National Park 345 kilometers away
- Phimai 349 kilometers away
- Bangkok 370 kilometers away
- The Golden Triangle 380 kilometers away
- Amphawa 399 kilometers away
- Phanom Rung 456 kilometers away
Photos of Sukhothai
Accommodation choices for Sukhothai
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sukhothai. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.