Visit Sequoia National Park, California
Sequoia National Park is one of the most southerly of the Sierra Nevada national parks and one of the most breathtaking.
Famous for its thick forests of ancient sequoia trees, the park's Giant Forest is home to five of the ten largest trees in the world. The enormous General Sherman tree, thought to be the largest on earth, stands 275 feet high and is reputed to be 2200 years old. Visit the Giant Forest Museum for a better understanding of the life cycle of these huge sequoias and what is being done to protect them.
Highway 198 climbs through the park's largely roadless wilderness, making for easy sightseeing. Inside the park boundaries it is known as the Generals Highway. Following the road from the museum you can take the spur to Auto Log, a fallen sequoia chiselled flat to enable motorists to drive on to it. Beyond lies the granite monolith of Moro Rock where a three mile trail leads up 400 stone steps for remarkable long distance views.
Other highlights of the park include the Tunnel Log, where you can drive through a hole cut in a massive sequoia that fell in 1937, the geological displays at Lodgepole Village, and the glacial canyon on the Tokopah Valley Trail.
Areas where the giant sequoias don't grow are swathed with pine and fir trees and encircled by steep mountain trails that reach for the barren peaks of the High Sierra beyond the tree line.
Suggested Sequoia National Park itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Sequoia National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Sequoia National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Sequoia National Park
- Kings Canyon National Park 53 kilometers away
- Death Valley National Park 134 kilometers away
- Yosemite National Park 177 kilometers away
- Pismo Beach 240 kilometers away
- Santa Barbara 252 kilometers away
- Los Angeles 275 kilometers away
- Big Sur 292 kilometers away
- Monterey 298 kilometers away
- Carmel 301 kilometers away
- Las Vegas 307 kilometers away
- Lake Tahoe 318 kilometers away
- Sacramento 348 kilometers away
- Palm Springs 351 kilometers away
- San Francisco 372 kilometers away
- Napa Valley 388 kilometers away
- Sonoma 399 kilometers away
- San Diego 440 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Sequoia National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sequoia National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.