Visit Mesa Verde National Park, USA
Mesa Verde, Spanish for green table, offers a spectacular look into the lives of the Ancestral Puebloan people who made this region their home for over 700 years. From the 7th to the 14th centuries this was a thriving community and the park now protects over 4,000 known archaeological sites, including 600 cliff dwellings that are some of the most notable and best preserved in the United States.
The park is set high in the densely wooded plateaux of southwest Colorado, cut at its southern edge by deep canyons, and was so far off the beaten track that it was not fully explored until 1888. The highly skilled Ancestral Puebloans are thought to have been the only people ever to have inhabited the region. After many centuries they moved from the mesa tops to construct multi-storey houses nestled in rocky alcoves high above the canyons.
The most notable ruins include Balcony House, Long House and Spruce Tree House but the highlight is surely Cliff Palace. This extraordinary building is tucked 100 feet below an overhanging rock ledge and its 217 rooms once housed more than 200 people. A visit here provides a haunting evocation of a lost and little known world.
Suggested itineraries featuring Mesa Verde National Park
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Mesa Verde National Park, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Mesa Verde National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mesa Verde National Park
- Durango 52 kilometers away
- Telluride 98 kilometers away
- Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park 148 kilometers away
- Kayenta, Monument Valley 169 kilometers away
- Canyonlands National Park 175 kilometers away
- Moab 178 kilometers away
- Arches National Park 192 kilometers away
- Grand Junction 205 kilometers away
- Alamosa 231 kilometers away
- Page 269 kilometers away
- Santa Fe 284 kilometers away
- Torrey 287 kilometers away
- Albuquerque 290 kilometers away
- Winslow 318 kilometers away
- Vail 325 kilometers away
- Bryce Canyon National Park 332 kilometers away
- Colorado 340 kilometers away
- Grand Canyon National Park 343 kilometers away
- Utah 347 kilometers away
- Flagstaff 365 kilometers away
- Colorado Springs 366 kilometers away
- New Mexico 386 kilometers away
- Sedona 397 kilometers away
- Zion National Park 401 kilometers away
- Denver 412 kilometers away
- Estes Park 434 kilometers away
- Arizona 434 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Mesa Verde National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Mesa Verde National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.