Visit Torrey, USA
The small town of Torrey acts as a gateway to Capital Reef National Park, a place of towering ochre, red and white rock walls and deep river canyons. The park takes its name from a multi-layered 100-foot-high reef-like wall of uplifted sedimentary rock, part of which reminded an early traveller of the dome of the US Capitol building.
Stretching over 100 miles from north to south, but only a few miles wide, the Waterpocket Fold sharply defines sedimentary layers that reflect 200 million years of geology. The only paved highway in the park cuts through the northern half of the Fold, past Grand Wash to Capital Gorge, and then follows the deep canyon of the Fremont River past the enormous rocky outcrop known as the Castle. The Fremont petroglyphs feature bighorn sheep and images of people carved from the rock 1000 years ago, while at Gooseneck Overlook visitors can peer down 500 feet into stunning entrenched canyons.
Map of Torrey
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Torrey
- Bryce Canyon National Park 103 kilometers away
- Utah 114 kilometers away
- Canyonlands National Park 135 kilometers away
- Page 155 kilometers away
- Moab 166 kilometers away
- Arches National Park 167 kilometers away
- Zion National Park 184 kilometers away
- Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park 186 kilometers away
- Kayenta, Monument Valley 203 kilometers away
- Grand Canyon National Park 263 kilometers away
- Grand Junction 264 kilometers away
- Salt Lake City 277 kilometers away
- Mesa Verde National Park 287 kilometers away
- Telluride 319 kilometers away
- Durango 332 kilometers away
- Flagstaff 346 kilometers away
- Winslow 371 kilometers away
- Sedona 383 kilometers away
- Aspen 410 kilometers away
- Las Vegas 412 kilometers away
- Arizona 441 kilometers away
- Vail 462 kilometers away
Photos of Torrey
Accommodation choices for Torrey
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Torrey. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Capitol Reef Resort, the closest hotel to Capitol Reef National Park, is located close to Hickman's Bridge and the Prehistoric Petroglyphs.