Mataking Island, Borneo
Arguably one of the most attractive islands off the east coast of Borneo and accessed from Semporna, Mataking is the ultimate island paradise.
On this private island the Reef Dive Resort provides comfortable and relaxed accommodation, a superb retreat from the adventure of the rainforest. All 32 beach chalets are air conditioned and furnished with four-poster beds, and all have spacious balconies looking out over the Celebes Sea.
Crystal clear waters, rich in both macro and pelagic life, surround the small island and are home to an underwater post office, a ship sunk in 2006 to create an artificial reef and a new conservation initiative to promote coral growth: reef balls.
The island is never crowded, and if you can tear yourself away from the gorgeous beaches, the resort spa offers pampering alternatives. it is an eco-friendly resort which is a great option for both divers and those who simply wish to relax.
Map of Mataking Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mataking Island
- Sipadan Mabul and Kapalai Islands 29 miles away
- Kapalai Island 31 miles away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 44 miles away
- Danum Valley 81 miles away
- Kinabatangan River 98 miles away
- Sandakan 108 miles away
- Sepilok 113 miles away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 119 miles away
- Maliau Basin 123 miles away
- Garama Wetlands 129 miles away
- Kinabalu National Park 194 miles away
- Mount Kinabalu 195 miles away
- Kota Kinabalu 218 miles away
- Gaya Island 225 miles away
- Manukan Island 225 miles away
- Mulu National Park 276 miles away
- Brunei 278 miles away
Photos of Mataking Island
Accommodation choices for Mataking Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Mataking Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.