Visit Kinabalu National Park, Borneo
Kinabalu National Park, Borneo
Rearing up over 4,000 meters, the jagged granite peaks of Mount Kinabalu slice into the skies above Sabah.
Just two hours drive through from Kota Kinabalu, this immense national park is home to diverse flora and fauna as the tropical lowlands gradually shift into alpine meadows.
Famous as the location of Southeast Asia’s highest peak, there are also many lowland trails through the rainforest, an area boasting more than 1,000 species of orchids, carnivorous pitcher plants and rare rafflesia - the largest flowering plant in the world.
We recommend that your bring comfortable walking shoes, sun block, raincoat or umbrella, insect repellent, a light jacket or cardigan.
The park trails begin around 1,500 meters and as such the area is cooler than Mount Kinabalu. Saying this, the rainforest does keep humidity levels high so take plenty of water and appropriate clothing for any treks you do.
Suggested Kinabalu National Park itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Kinabalu National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Kinabalu National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Kinabalu National Park
- Mount Kinabalu Kinabalu National Park
- Kota Kinabalu 31 miles away
- Gaya Island 36 miles away
- Manukan Island 38 miles away
- Garama Wetlands 66 miles away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 76 miles away
- Sepilok 97 miles away
- Maliau Basin 98 miles away
- Kinabatangan River 101 miles away
- Sandakan 105 miles away
- Danum Valley 121 miles away
- Brunei 134 miles away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 171 miles away
- Mulu National Park 178 miles away
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 183 miles away
- Kapalai Island 194 miles away
- Mataking Island 194 miles away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 213 miles away
Accommodation choices for Kinabalu National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Kinabalu National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Kinabalu National Park
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Kinabalu National Park, and which use the best local guides.