Visit Kinabalu National Park, Borneo
Kinabalu National Park, Borneo
Rearing up over 4,000 meters, the jagged granite peaks of Mount Kinabalu slice into the skies above Sabah.
Just two hours drive through from Kota Kinabalu, this immense national park is home to diverse flora and fauna as the tropical lowlands gradually shift into alpine meadows.
Famous as the location of Southeast Asia’s highest peak, there are also many lowland trails through the rainforest, an area boasting more than 1,000 species of orchids, carnivorous pitcher plants and rare rafflesia - the largest flowering plant in the world.
We recommend that your bring comfortable walking shoes, sun block, raincoat or umbrella, insect repellent, a light jacket or cardigan.
The park trails begin around 1,500 meters and as such the area is cooler than Mount Kinabalu. Saying this, the rainforest does keep humidity levels high so take plenty of water and appropriate clothing for any treks you do.
Suggested Kinabalu National Park itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Kinabalu National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Kinabalu National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Kinabalu National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Kinabalu National Park
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Kinabalu National Park, and which use the best local guides.
Map of Kinabalu National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Kinabalu National Park
- Mount Kinabalu Kinabalu National Park
- Kota Kinabalu 49 kilometers away
- Gaya Island 58 kilometers away
- Manukan Island 61 kilometers away
- Garama Wetlands 106 kilometers away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 123 kilometers away
- Sepilok 156 kilometers away
- Maliau Basin 158 kilometers away
- Kinabatangan River 162 kilometers away
- Sandakan 169 kilometers away
- Danum Valley 194 kilometers away
- Brunei 216 kilometers away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 275 kilometers away
- Mulu National Park 286 kilometers away
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 294 kilometers away
- Kapalai Island 312 kilometers away
- Mataking Island 312 kilometers away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 342 kilometers away