Visit Sandakan, Borneo
Once Sabah’s capital city, Sandakan was virtually destroyed during World War II and its administrative functions were moved to Kota Kinabalu.
Now rebuilt, it is an interesting place to spend some time before continuing your journey to Turtle Island National Park, Lankayan or the Kinabatangan River.
Sandakan War Memorial
There is a thriving port and excellent wet market where the catch of the day is brought for sale, while the war memorial at Sandakan is built at the site of the former Sandakan Prisoner of War Camp in memory of the 2,400 Australian Prisoners of War who died here and in the death marches of World War II.
The shady, forested setting is a peaceful sanctuary to contemplate the tragedies of this all-too-recent history.
Suggested itineraries featuring Sandakan
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Sandakan, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Sandakan
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Sandakan
- Sepilok Sandakan
- Kinabatangan River 35 kilometers away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 91 kilometers away
- Garama Wetlands 96 kilometers away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 117 kilometers away
- Danum Valley 118 kilometers away
- Maliau Basin 155 kilometers away
- Mount Kinabalu 168 kilometers away
- Kinabalu National Park 169 kilometers away
- Mataking Island 173 kilometers away
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 176 kilometers away
- Kapalai Island 194 kilometers away
- Kota Kinabalu 216 kilometers away
- Gaya Island 226 kilometers away
- Manukan Island 229 kilometers away
- Brunei 360 kilometers away
- Mulu National Park 398 kilometers away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 482 kilometers away
Photos of Sandakan
Accommodation choices for Sandakan
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Sandakan. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Just a stone’s throw away from the orangutan sanctuary at Sepilok, it is a great base to explore the area.