Visit Danum Valley, Borneo
Covering 43 square kilometers, the Danum Valley Conservation Area has been set up to protect the region from the ravages of the logging industry.
A two-hour car journey from the nearest town of Lahad Datu, the rainforest here has an isolated and pristine beauty all of its own. From the viewpoints along the treetop canopy, dense jungle foliage and dramatic mountains stretch for miles on every side and it is easy to forget the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Wildlife of the Danum Valley
A nature lover’s paradise, the area is known for its huge variety of birds and other wildlife. It is possible to spot wild cats, orangutans, macaques, gibbons, red leaf monkeys, pygmy elephants and - if you are very lucky - the rare clouded leopard. The canopy walkway is a great way to experience life in the treetops where much of the wildlife is to be found.
A number of jungle trails are available, including the trek to the viewpoint which passes Coffin Cliff, an ancient Kadazan Dusun burial site.
Suggested itineraries featuring Danum Valley
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Danum Valley, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Danum Valley
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Danum Valley. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Danum Valley
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Danum Valley, and which use the best local guides.
Map of Danum Valley
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Danum Valley
- Maliau Basin 69 kilometers away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 73 kilometers away
- Kinabatangan River 84 kilometers away
- Garama Wetlands 89 kilometers away
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 103 kilometers away
- Sepilok 117 kilometers away
- Sandakan 118 kilometers away
- Kapalai Island 120 kilometers away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 128 kilometers away
- Mataking Island 131 kilometers away
- Kinabalu National Park 194 kilometers away
- Mount Kinabalu 196 kilometers away
- Kota Kinabalu 227 kilometers away
- Manukan Island 238 kilometers away
- Gaya Island 238 kilometers away
- Brunei 318 kilometers away
- Mulu National Park 326 kilometers away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 427 kilometers away