Visit Gaya Island, Borneo
Gaya Island is the largest island of the five islands of the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park which lies just off the coast of Kota Kinabalu.
There are frequent ferries from the port at Kota Kinabalu over to the island (15 minute journey) and a visit to the island is a lovely day trip or you can stay overnight.
Wildlife of Gaya Island
The island has superb beaches; walking trails through the rainforest where you will see an array of bird life, wild boar, monitor lizards and possibly some macaque monkeys and great snorkeling. The resort here also has a dive center where you can arrange to do some diving around the other islands of the marine park.
Marine Ecology Research Centre
Gayana Resort has two excellent restaurants which you can use if you are just visiting for the day and it also has a Marine Ecology Research Centre which serves as an education and research facility as well as rehabilitation and breeding center for giant clams, coral and many fish species.
Suggested itineraries featuring Gaya Island
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Gaya Island, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Gaya Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Gaya Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Gaya Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Gaya Island
- Manukan Island 6 kilometers away
- Kota Kinabalu 11 kilometers away
- Kinabalu National Park 58 kilometers away
- Mount Kinabalu 60 kilometers away
- Garama Wetlands 155 kilometers away
- Brunei 171 kilometers away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 171 kilometers away
- Maliau Basin 190 kilometers away
- Sepilok 214 kilometers away
- Kinabatangan River 217 kilometers away
- Sandakan 226 kilometers away
- Danum Valley 238 kilometers away
- Mulu National Park 255 kilometers away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 295 kilometers away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 330 kilometers away
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 340 kilometers away
- Kapalai Island 357 kilometers away
- Mataking Island 362 kilometers away