Visit Mount Kinabalu, Borneo
The soaring peak of Mount Kinabalu, at 4,093 meters, is the highest in Malaysia. It slices into the skies above Kota Kinabalu.
Climb Mount Kinabalu
To climb to the peak is an unforgettable adventure, taking two days of hard trekking with a night en route, but the reward of seeing dawn break from the summit is well worth the aching muscles, which can be eased in the hot springs at Poring.
For those who wish to enjoy the views and wildlife of the national park without the climb there are trails around the base of the mountain, easy to follow on day trips from the city, or by staying overnight.
For the less energetic, scenic helicopter flights from kota kinabalu fly around the mountain, affording superb views from the air.
Suggested Mount Kinabalu itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Mount Kinabalu, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Mount Kinabalu
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mount Kinabalu
- Kinabalu National Park 5 kilometers away
- Kota Kinabalu 51 kilometers away
- Gaya Island 60 kilometers away
- Manukan Island 64 kilometers away
- Garama Wetlands 108 kilometers away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 124 kilometers away
- Sepilok 155 kilometers away
- Maliau Basin 161 kilometers away
- Kinabatangan River 162 kilometers away
- Sandakan 168 kilometers away
- Danum Valley 196 kilometers away
- Brunei 220 kilometers away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 275 kilometers away
- Mulu National Park 291 kilometers away
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 295 kilometers away
- Mataking Island 313 kilometers away
- Kapalai Island 313 kilometers away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 346 kilometers away
Our expert guides to exploring Mount Kinabalu
Written by our specialists from their own experiences of visiting Mount Kinabalu, these guides will help you make the most of your time there. We share both our practical recommendations and the best ways to appreciate Mount Kinabalu at its best.
Ideas for experiencing Mount Kinabalu
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Mount Kinabalu, and which use the best local guides.