Visit Mount Kinabalu, Borneo
The soaring peak of Mount Kinabalu, at 4,093 meters, is the highest in Malaysia. It slices into the skies above Kota Kinabalu.
Climb Mount Kinabalu
To climb to the peak is an unforgettable adventure, taking two days of hard trekking with a night en route, but the reward of seeing dawn break from the summit is well worth the aching muscles, which can be eased in the hot springs at Poring.
For those who wish to enjoy the views and wildlife of the national park without the climb there are trails around the base of the mountain, easy to follow on day trips from the city, or by staying overnight.
For the less energetic, scenic helicopter flights from kota kinabalu fly around the mountain, affording superb views from the air.
Suggested Mount Kinabalu itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Mount Kinabalu, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Mount Kinabalu
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mount Kinabalu
- Kinabalu National Park less than 5 miles away
- Kota Kinabalu 32 miles away
- Gaya Island 37 miles away
- Manukan Island 40 miles away
- Garama Wetlands 67 miles away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 77 miles away
- Sepilok 97 miles away
- Maliau Basin 100 miles away
- Kinabatangan River 101 miles away
- Sandakan 104 miles away
- Danum Valley 122 miles away
- Brunei 137 miles away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 171 miles away
- Mulu National Park 181 miles away
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 184 miles away
- Mataking Island 195 miles away
- Kapalai Island 195 miles away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 215 miles away
Our expert guides to exploring Mount Kinabalu
Written by our specialists from their own experiences of visiting Mount Kinabalu, these guides will help you make the most of your time there. We share both our practical recommendations and the best ways to appreciate Mount Kinabalu at its best.
Ideas for experiencing Mount Kinabalu
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Mount Kinabalu, and which use the best local guides.