The Sultanate of Brunei is famed for its wealth, with oil having brought a lifestyle unrivaled across Southeast Asia.
The peaceful country is divided into four districts occupying just 5,765 square kilometers, over 70% of which is pristine rainforest.
The climate is hot and humid and although the wet season is between November and February, tropical showers are possible at anytime. Alcohol is not sold anywhere in the country but can easily be brought in with the correct paperwork.
Stilt village of Kampong Ayer
Bandar Seri Begawan, the capital, is home to splendid mosques, the lavish Istana Nurul Iman, the official residence of the Sultan and some impressive museums with the Royal Regalia Building housing a unique collection of Royal Bruneinan artifacts. In contrast, the Gadong Area is the city’s premier commercial and shopping district, where good restaurants, department stores and cinemas are located. The city’s most spectacular sight is Kampong Ayer, the world’s largest stilt village, which is home to around 30,000 people.
Temburong District is the place to explore Brunei’s virgin rainforest. Separated from the rest of the nation by the Brunei Bay and a sliver of Sarawak, Temburong is best accessed by fast river and local longtailed boats. Steep forest paths wind through the national park’s lush jungle and the canopy walkway affords superb views over the diverse treetop ecosystem. The cool waterfalls and shady rock pools provide the perfect spot for a rest or swim whilst enjoying the jungle chorus.
Map of Brunei
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Brunei
- Mulu National Park 60 miles away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 79 miles away
- Manukan Island 103 miles away
- Gaya Island 106 miles away
- Kota Kinabalu 108 miles away
- Kinabalu National Park 134 miles away
- Mount Kinabalu 137 miles away
- Maliau Basin 155 miles away
- Garama Wetlands 166 miles away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 173 miles away
- Danum Valley 198 miles away
- Kinabatangan River 208 miles away
- Sepilok 217 miles away
- Sandakan 224 miles away
- Sipadan Mabul and Kapalai Islands 256 miles away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 263 miles away
- Kapalai Island 263 miles away
- Mataking Island 278 miles away
- Sibu 283 miles away
Photos of Brunei
Accommodation choices for Brunei
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Brunei. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.