Visit Kapalai Island, Borneo
Kapalai Island, Borneo
Kapalai is now an underwater island, emerging at low tide as a sand bar on the Ligitan Reef.
Marine life of Kapalai
Erosion has taken its toll on this area of reef but the only resort here enjoys a stunning location above the shallow waters of the Celebes sea and walking around on the stilted board walk you will look down to see star fish, rays, barracudas, gobies and a wealth of other macro species.
The resort is a superb experience in itself - from here it is a twenty minute boat ride to the world renowned Sipadan island dive site and just ten minutes to Mabul, where you will enjoy some of the best 'muck' diving in the world.
Map of Kapalai Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Kapalai Island
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 12 miles away
- Mataking Island 31 miles away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 69 miles away
- Danum Valley 75 miles away
- Kinabatangan River 107 miles away
- Maliau Basin 111 miles away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 118 miles away
- Sandakan 121 miles away
- Sepilok 125 miles away
- Garama Wetlands 128 miles away
- Kinabalu National Park 194 miles away
- Mount Kinabalu 195 miles away
- Kota Kinabalu 215 miles away
- Manukan Island 222 miles away
- Gaya Island 222 miles away
- Mulu National Park 256 miles away
- Brunei 263 miles away
Photos of Kapalai Island
Accommodation choices for Kapalai Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Kapalai Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The resort is a 'water village' and is built on a sand bar located only a 15 minute boat ride from Sipadan. This is a fantastic option for keen divers but not so suitable for non-divers.