Sabah’s longest river is home to an impressive array of wildlife and is a real highlight of any trip to Borneo.
A small boat will navigate you through the peaceful jungle backwaters and smaller river tributaries.
Along the banks, thick green rainforest provides a home for macaques, monitor lizards, elephants and, most famously, the proboscis monkey, with his unique coloring, large nose and harem of wives. Late afternoon is a great time to watch the monkeys as they jump from one side of the bank to the other in front of your boat.
The river is also a paradise for birdwatchers with a huge variety of species, including rhinoceros hornbills, crested serpent eagles and blue-banded kingfishers.
Suggested itineraries featuring Kinabatangan River
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Kinabatangan River, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Kinabatangan River
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Kinabatangan River
- Sepilok 21 miles away
- Sandakan 22 miles away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 39 miles away
- Garama Wetlands 45 miles away
- Danum Valley 53 miles away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 71 miles away
- Maliau Basin 76 miles away
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 95 miles away
- Mataking Island 98 miles away
- Mount Kinabalu 101 miles away
- Kinabalu National Park 101 miles away
- Kapalai Island 107 miles away
- Kota Kinabalu 129 miles away
- Gaya Island 135 miles away
- Manukan Island 136 miles away
- Brunei 211 miles away
- Mulu National Park 230 miles away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 285 miles away
Our expert guides to exploring Kinabatangan River
Written by our specialists from their own experiences of visiting Kinabatangan River, these guides will help you make the most of your time there. We share both our practical recommendations and the best ways to appreciate Kinabatangan River at its best.
Accommodation choices for Kinabatangan River
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Kinabatangan River. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Kinabatangan River
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Kinabatangan River, and which use the best local guides.