Visit Mulu National Park, Borneo
Under the national park’s blanket of jungle can be found the world’s largest limestone cave system, dominated by the towering Gunung Mulu.
The area is so isolated that it is accessible only by light aircraft and, once in the park, exploration is on foot or by boat.
A highlight is to follow the labyrinthine passages of Clearwater Cave, perhaps swimming in its pellucid waters, or to visit Lang Cave or Deer Cave at dusk to witness the bats emerging in their shadowy hordes.
Wildlife of Mulu National Park
The park has been estimated to be at least five million years old and, with its soaring peaks and dense forest, it seems to defy time. The forest itself may seem peaceful, but the silence is often broken by the sounds of the gibbons, cicada, hornbills, bats and frogs, while in the steamy heat you can almost hear the creaking, as 8,000 species of plants and trees edge their way to a distant sky.
Suggested itineraries featuring Mulu National Park
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Mulu National Park, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Mulu National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mulu National Park
- Brunei 107 kilometers away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 118 kilometers away
- Manukan Island 249 kilometers away
- Kota Kinabalu 254 kilometers away
- Gaya Island 255 kilometers away
- Maliau Basin 259 kilometers away
- Kinabalu National Park 286 kilometers away
- Mount Kinabalu 291 kilometers away
- Garama Wetlands 303 kilometers away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 309 kilometers away
- Danum Valley 326 kilometers away
- Kinabatangan River 371 kilometers away
- Sepilok 389 kilometers away
- Sandakan 398 kilometers away
- Sibu 400 kilometers away
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 403 kilometers away
- Kapalai Island 411 kilometers away
- Mataking Island 444 kilometers away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 453 kilometers away
Photos of Mulu National Park
Accommodation choices for Mulu National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Mulu National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Set on the edge of the rainforest near the Melinau River, the lodge has a laid-back atmosphere due to the mix of backpackers through to experienced travelers.
Designed in the style of ethnic longhouses, Mulu Marriott Resort is built on wooden stilts, three meters above the ground. Linked by a series of wooden walkways, the resort stands on the banks of the Melinau River, in the midst of a breathtaking natural splendor.