Under the national park’s blanket of jungle can be found the world’s largest limestone cave system, dominated by the towering Gunung Mulu.
The area is so isolated that it is accessible only by light aircraft and, once in the park, exploration is on foot or by boat.
A highlight is to follow the labyrinthine passages of Clearwater Cave, perhaps swimming in its pellucid waters, or to visit Lang Cave or Deer Cave at dusk to witness the bats emerging in their shadowy hordes.
Wildlife of Mulu National Park
The park has been estimated to be at least five million years old and, with its soaring peaks and dense forest, it seems to defy time. The forest itself may seem peaceful, but the silence is often broken by the sounds of the gibbons, cicada, hornbills, bats and frogs, while in the steamy heat you can almost hear the creaking, as 8,000 species of plants and trees edge their way to a distant sky.
Suggested itineraries featuring Mulu National Park
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Mulu National Park, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Mulu National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Mulu National Park
- Brunei 67 miles away
- Miri, Niah Caves & Lambir Hills National Park 74 miles away
- Manukan Island 155 miles away
- Kota Kinabalu 158 miles away
- Gaya Island 158 miles away
- Maliau Basin 161 miles away
- Kinabalu National Park 178 miles away
- Mount Kinabalu 181 miles away
- Garama Wetlands 188 miles away
- Deramakot Forest Reserve 192 miles away
- Danum Valley 203 miles away
- Kinabatangan River 230 miles away
- Sepilok 242 miles away
- Sandakan 248 miles away
- Sibu 249 miles away
- Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands 251 miles away
- Kapalai Island 256 miles away
- Mataking Island 276 miles away
- Tabin Wildlife Reserve 281 miles away
Accommodation choices for Mulu National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Mulu National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.