Visit Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
The Bay of Plenty is an area of thriving agriculture and endless coastline, popular with the Kiwis themselves, many of whom escape from the towns to their ‘baches’ along the stretch of coast between the principal town of Tauranga and the popular Papamoa Beach.
Across Tauranga harbor the skyline is dominated by the volcanic cone of Mauao, where a fairly challenging climb is rewarded with unobstructed views along the coast. Mount Maunganui, the town at its base, is a very popular place to celebrate New Year and is a center for surf and adventure year round.
Around the Bay of Plenty
To the east is Whakatane and its smaller, seaside neighbor of Ohope, another sweeping stretch of empty, golden sand.
Off the coast lies the small but smoldering White Island, New Zealand’s most active volcano, whose steamy shroud is clearly visible from all along the Bay’s coast.
Suggested Bay of Plenty itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Bay of Plenty, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Bay of Plenty
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Bay of Plenty
- Tauranga 14 miles away
- Rotorua 29 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 64 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 68 miles away
- Lake Taupo 68 miles away
- Waitomo 80 miles away
- Waikato 95 miles away
- Waiheke Island 101 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 109 miles away
- Devonport 110 miles away
- Auckland 110 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 113 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 121 miles away
- Napier 124 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 131 miles away
- Hastings 134 miles away
- Warkworth 135 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 156 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 168 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 214 miles away
- Russell 214 miles away
- Paihia 214 miles away
- Bay of Islands 217 miles away
- Kerikeri 222 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 230 miles away
- Matauri Bay 233 miles away
- Greytown 236 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 240 miles away
- Martinborough 246 miles away
- Wellington 260 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 266 miles away
- Picton 277 miles away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 282 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 285 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 287 miles away
- Blenheim 292 miles away
- Nelson 295 miles away
Accommodation choices for Bay of Plenty
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Bay of Plenty. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Situated in the Bay of Plenty, in the privacy of six acres of manicured gardens and vineyards, lies Matahui Lodge. This luxury lodge offers indulgence and pampering in a truly beautiful setting.