Visit Waikato, New Zealand
The Waikato is a region blessed with two landscapes to discover – one above ground, and one below.
Fed by the mighty Waikato River the land is rich and fertile, and the surrounding towns prosperous.
Orderly, pastoral scenes unfold around every corner, and the main center, Hamilton, stretches gently along the river banks. Within the city more than 58 hectares are dedicated to gardens.
Divided into five collections, these planted areas reflect the relationship between people and plants, one that dates back to pre-European Maori life, when kumara and other crops were planted along the banks of the river.
In the 1830s the missionaries introduced European crops and farming methods, leading to the current agricultural basis of the local community. Below the earth a wonderland of water and limestone beckons for more adventurous exploration.
Suggested Waikato itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Waikato, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Waikato
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Waikato
- Waitomo Waikato
- Auckland 38 miles away
- Devonport 39 miles away
- Waiheke Island 44 miles away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 48 miles away
- Coromandel Peninsula 66 miles away
- Warkworth 69 miles away
- Tauranga 82 miles away
- Great Barrier Island 91 miles away
- Bay of Plenty 95 miles away
- Rotorua 98 miles away
- Lake Taupo 116 miles away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 122 miles away
- The Kauri Coast 134 miles away
- Tongariro National Park 136 miles away
- Paihia 150 miles away
- Russell 151 miles away
- Kerikeri 156 miles away
- Bay of Islands 156 miles away
- Matauri Bay 169 miles away
- Whanganui National Park 178 miles away
- Napier 188 miles away
- Hastings 194 miles away
- Hawke's Bay 195 miles away
- Eastland & Gisborne 201 miles away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 207 miles away
- The Kapiti Coast 243 miles away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 254 miles away
- Greytown 259 miles away
- Abel Tasman National Park 263 miles away
- Marlborough Sounds 263 miles away
- Wairarapa & surrounds 263 miles away
- Martinborough 269 miles away
- Wellington 270 miles away
- Picton 274 miles away
- Kahurangi National Park 276 miles away
- Nelson 280 miles away
- Blenheim 290 miles away