Twenty minutes' drive north of Hobart will lead you to Richmond, the first place that the Coal River could be bridged en route to Port Arthur in 1820.
The village is home to over 50 beautiful sandstone buildings, including Australia’s oldest Anglican Church. The municipal gaol is still splendidly intact, complete with shared and solitary cells, warden’s house and flogging yard.
Richmond also boasts Australia’s oldest bridge, around which many ducks and geese loiter on the riverbanks, creating an idyllic rural scene reminiscent of a Constable painting.
Suggested itinerary featuring Richmond
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Richmond, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Richmond
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Richmond
- Hobart 12 miles away
- Huon Valley 29 miles away
- Maria Island National Park 35 miles away
- Port Arthur 36 miles away
- Mount Field National Park 44 miles away
- Swansea 54 miles away
- Tasmania 57 miles away
- Freycinet National Park 59 miles away
- Launceston 92 miles away
- Deloraine 93 miles away
- Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park 104 miles away
- Strahan & Gordon River 116 miles away
- Stanley 176 miles away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 269 miles away