The best time to visit Barbados is between December and June, when the weather is driest. The island has a warm, tropical climate year-round, with temperatures averaging highs of 30°C and humidity levels of 70% to 75%. Thanks to the prevailing trade winds, a cool breeze usually provides a respite from the midday sun and evenings can feel cooler.
Official hurricane season in Barbados is from July to November. The rain usually consists of brief, heavy showers, but there is lots of sunshine during the rest of the day. The risk of hurricanes is very small, as they normally pass to the north. However, they can affect the weather on the island and there are also tropical storms at this time of year.
Hannah, Hidden Beaches Specialist
The Crop Over Festival in August is a great time to visit, with lots of music, dancing and a real air of celebration.
Barbados Climate Guide
|Bridgetown||29°C 70mm||29°C 56mm||30°C 39mm||31°C 51mm||31°C 66mm||31°C 119mm||31°C 141mm||31°C 163mm||31°C 169mm||31°C 182mm||30°C 178mm||29°C 95mm|
Month-by-month guide to travelling in Barbados
Visiting Barbados in January
January has an average high of 28°C. Although there are rainy days, it is still one of the driest months; with brief, tropical showers giving way to sunshine for the rest of the day. It is a very popular month to travel and we recommend booking well in advance.
Visiting Barbados in February - April
These are the driest months, making this the most popular time to travel, so we recommend booking as far in advance as you can.
Events & Festivals
- Holetown Festival (February): Commemorating the anniversary of the first settlement of Barbados by the British, this event highlights Barbadian culture and history, as well as promoting local crafts.
Visiting Barbados in May
May can be a great time to travel as prices are lower, and while there is a little more rain, it is still usually drier than in January, with plenty of sunshine.
Visiting Barbados in June
Temperatures and the number of hours of sunshine remain consistent with the rest of the year, but the chance of short, tropical showers increases. Lower prices make it a great time to travel.
Visiting Barbados in July - November
Attractive offers make prices a fraction of those offered during the high season. Rainfall is highest at this time, but this usually consists of relatively short showers. Although there are heavy tropical showers, there are still plenty of sunshine hours and the island landscape becomes more lush with rich green vegetation and beautiful tropical flowers. The official hurricane season falls between July and November, and although the risk of hurricanes is very small, you might encounter tropical storms.
Events & Festivals
- Barbados Independence Surf Festival (November): An event that brings top international surfers to the Atlantic east coast's great waves, creating entertainment for spectators on the shoreline.
- Crop Over Festival (August): Traditionally celebrating the end of the sugar cane harvest, this is one of Barbados' most popular festivals, with carnival parades, calypso competitions and colourful costumes.
- Independence celebrations (November): The island celebrates independence with a series of events, including fairs and community activities, culminating in a grand parade on 30th November.
Visiting Barbados in December
December is drier and the island has regained its lush and colourful vegetation after the rain. Christmas is a very popular time to visit, with many people booking a year or more in advance.
Why travel with Audley?
- 100% tailor-made journeys
- Fully protected travel
- Established for 20 years