Visit Blevio, Italian Lakes
On the southern end of Lake Como, Blevio is a commune of seven sleepy, rural villages. Stretching from the lakeshore up into the steep hills, the villages retain an unhurried pace of life yet are close to the larger and livelier town of Como. Looking out over the lake and the surrounding mountains, the villages offer a handful of restaurants and bars frequented by locals where you can sample traditional food.
While most visitors base themselves in nearby Como, a stay in Blevio gives you quite a different perspective on the region. Along with a cluster of grand villas overlooking the lake, you'll find traditional fishermen's houses, narrow, winding streets, and ancient walls covered in bougainvillea. In the evening, the quiet streets and lack of traffic give the area an undeniable allure.
Blevio benefited from the thriving silk trade of the region in medieval times and many of its handsome buildings date from this era. However, power struggles for control of the industry also brought sieges and attacks over the subsequent centuries.
The village churches reflect these turbulent times with a blend of architectural styles from different periods. Several contain fine stuccowork and paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries.
While in Blevio, it’s well worth getting out onto the water to see the villages from the lake. Many of the villas that flank the lake's shore were designed to be seen from the water. Their grand façades, panoramic waterfront terraces and manicured gardens give a glimpse of the opulence of noble living. Among them are the grandiose but slightly austere Villa Roccabruna and the turreted Villa Troubetzkoy.
Como with its many restaurants, shops and bars is just 5 km (3 miles) from Blevio and easy to get to by taxi.
Map of Blevio
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Blevio
- Torno less than 5 kilometers away
- Como less than 5 kilometers away
- Laglio 6 kilometers away
- Lezzeno 14 kilometers away
- Tremezzo 19 kilometers away
- Bellagio 20 kilometers away
- Lake Como 27 kilometers away
- Lake Maggiore 37 kilometers away
- Milan 42 kilometers away
- Verbania 44 kilometers away
- Stresa 45 kilometers away
- Turin 140 kilometers away
- Piedmont 141 kilometers away
- Barbaresco 148 kilometers away
- Parma 150 kilometers away
- Alba 152 kilometers away
- Verona 154 kilometers away
- Genoa 160 kilometers away
- Barolo 165 kilometers away
- Portofino and Santa Margherita 171 kilometers away
- Modena 195 kilometers away
- Cinque Terre 198 kilometers away
- Porto Venere 207 kilometers away
- Forte dei Marmi 225 kilometers away
- Bologna 231 kilometers away
- Venice 256 kilometers away
- Pisa 257 kilometers away
- Florence 287 kilometers away
- Ravenna 291 kilometers away
- San Gimignano 306 kilometers away
- Siena 332 kilometers away
- Perugia 401 kilometers away
- Assisi 416 kilometers away
- Umbria 420 kilometers away
- Orvieto 423 kilometers away
Photos of Blevio
Accommodation choices for Blevio
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Blevio. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Located within a series of 19th-century former villas, the vibrant hotel Mandarin Oriental Lake Como provides a tranquil lakeside retreat. Extensive grounds offer an abundance of quiet spots to relax and take in the views of the lake and mountains.