Visit Lake Maggiore, Italian Lakes
Often regarded as the most beautiful of Italy’s northern lakes, Lake Maggiore is known for its clear blue waters, mild Mediterranean climate and sloping green clad shoreline. The area has long drawn the imagination of visitors passing through the Simplon Pass from central Europe into Italy for whom the lake was one of their first iconic vistas.
The lake itself, acts as a border between the region of Piedmont on the western shore and Lombardy to the east. To the north, it stretches up into Switzerland and the picturesque Locarno area. The jewels in the crown though, are undoubtedly the Borromean Islands, nestled on the western shore between the towns of Stresa and Verbania, within the picturesque Borromean Gulf.
This whole section of the lake, so popular with the European aristocracy during the years of the Grand Tour, is lined with beautiful Belle Époque villas and extensive botanical gardens, just waiting to be explored.
Italy specialist Caroline
Lake Maggiore has an old-world charm about it. It’s best experienced from the water, by touring the lake and visiting some of its islets, with their sprawling palazzos, landscaped gardens, and whimsical grottoes.
Places to visit in Lake Maggiore
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Lake Maggiore, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lake Maggiore
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lake Maggiore, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Maggiore
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Lake Maggiore
- Stresa Lake Maggiore
- Verbania Lake Maggiore
- Laglio 36 kilometers away
- Torno 37 kilometers away
- Blevio 37 kilometers away
- Como 38 kilometers away
- Tremezzo 38 kilometers away
- Lezzeno 39 kilometers away
- Bellagio 44 kilometers away
- Lake Como 46 kilometers away
- Milan 72 kilometers away
- Turin 131 kilometers away
- Piedmont 134 kilometers away
- Barbaresco 151 kilometers away
- Gardone Riviera 151 kilometers away
- Alba 155 kilometers away
- Lake Garda 157 kilometers away
- Sirmione 162 kilometers away
- Madonna di Campiglio 166 kilometers away
- Barolo 167 kilometers away
- Genoa 180 kilometers away
- Parma 185 kilometers away
- Verona 190 kilometers away
- Portofino and Santa Margherita 194 kilometers away
- Cinque Terre 226 kilometers away
- Modena 231 kilometers away
- Porto Venere 236 kilometers away
- Dolomites 246 kilometers away
- Alta Badia 255 kilometers away
- Forte dei Marmi 256 kilometers away
- Bologna 267 kilometers away
- Pisa 288 kilometers away
- Venice 290 kilometers away
- Florence 321 kilometers away
- Ravenna 327 kilometers away
- San Gimignano 338 kilometers away
- Siena 365 kilometers away
- Perugia 436 kilometers away
- Assisi 451 kilometers away
- Umbria 455 kilometers away
- Orvieto 456 kilometers away
Photos of Lake Maggiore
Accommodation choices for Lake Maggiore
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Maggiore. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
With rooms facing the splendid Lake Maggiore and the mountain slopes in the background, the hotel provides a central base for exploring the town of Stresa and the surrounding areas.
The Regina Palace is an elegant and charming property with a traditional Italian style. Its lakeside location, close to the heart of Stresa, offers a good base for exploring the lake.
Set on a quiet promontory with panoramic terraces and gardens overlooking Lake Maggiore, this Belle Époque hotel effortlessly lives up to its name.
Perched on the edge of Lake Maggiore with outstanding views of the Borromean Islands, Villa Aminta is a luxurious hotel with two beautiful restaurants and an excellent spa complex.
Opened in 1863 on the shores of Lake Maggiore, the Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees is one of Italy’s most prestigious lakeside hotels. Its elegant grandeur has been beautifully maintained through the ages and the hotel continues to offer a wonderful experience.