Visit Lake Tekapo, New Zealand
This turquoise lake often perfectly reflects the snow capped mountains on every side.
Finely ground particles of rock brought down by the glaciers at the head of the lake and then held in suspension create ‘rock flour’, giving the waters their effervescent turquoise color.
The small town, with sweeping views, serves as a base on the route from Christchurch to Mount Cook.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lake Tekapo
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lake Tekapo, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Tekapo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Tekapo
- Twizel 42 kilometers away
- Mount Cook National Park 43 kilometers away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 71 kilometers away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 116 kilometers away
- Lake Wanaka 133 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 147 kilometers away
- Hokitika 149 kilometers away
- Arrowtown 168 kilometers away
- Christchurch 182 kilometers away
- Queenstown 185 kilometers away
- Glenorchy 192 kilometers away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 201 kilometers away
- The Otago Peninsula 209 kilometers away
- Dunedin 209 kilometers away
- Milford Sound 217 kilometers away
- Punakaiki 222 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 252 kilometers away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 270 kilometers away
- The Catlins 308 kilometers away
- Doubtful Sound 314 kilometers away
- Kaikoura 315 kilometers away
- Kahurangi National Park 376 kilometers away
- Nelson 381 kilometers away
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 386 kilometers away
- Blenheim 397 kilometers away
- Abel Tasman National Park 399 kilometers away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 412 kilometers away
- Picton 418 kilometers away
- Marlborough Sounds 434 kilometers away
- Wellington 464 kilometers away
Photos of Lake Tekapo
Accommodation choices for Lake Tekapo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Tekapo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This impeccably decorated B&B is located within walking distance to Tekapo and boasts lake and mountain views from all bedrooms and the guest lounge.
Lake Tekapo Lodge is a boutique property with stunning views over Lake Tekapo and the mountains. It is within easy reach of Tekapo township and the famous Church of the Good Shepherd, with a footpath linking the lodge to the main road.
Set near the shores of Lake Tekapo and with the Mount Cook National Park on its doorstep, Peppers Bluewater Resort is in a beautiful location.