Visit Milford Sound, New Zealand
Thought by the Maoris to be the work of superhuman masons, the fiords of New Zealand are stunningly beautiful, whether glistening in sunlight or dark and moody in the rain.
Milford Sound is without doubt one of the most beautiful. Here, the power of nature stuns.
Exploring Milford Sound
Mitre Peak, so-called because of its resemblance to a bishop’s mitre, is probably one of the most photographed images in New Zealand, but nothing can prepare you for the first time you see it with your own eyes - a truly spectacular vista.
Even the road to Milford Sound from Te Anau has earned World Heritage status for its scenic beauty, with lakeside forests, cascading alpine rivers and rugged mountains.
Milford Sound is the only settlement within the impressive Fiordland National Park, and both daytime and overnight cruises depart from the wharf.
Suggested itineraries featuring Milford Sound
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Milford Sound, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
New Zealand and Australia
Australia and New Zealand
Australia and New Zealand
Map of Milford Sound
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Milford Sound
- Glenorchy 42 kilometers away
- Queenstown 72 kilometers away
- Arrowtown 79 kilometers away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 85 kilometers away
- Lake Wanaka 96 kilometers away
- Doubtful Sound 104 kilometers away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 126 kilometers away
- Twizel 179 kilometers away
- Mount Cook National Park 203 kilometers away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 215 kilometers away
- Lake Tekapo 217 kilometers away
- The Catlins 231 kilometers away
- Dunedin 243 kilometers away
- The Otago Peninsula 254 kilometers away
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 255 kilometers away
- Hokitika 328 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 350 kilometers away
- Punakaiki 397 kilometers away
- Christchurch 398 kilometers away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 414 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 462 kilometers away
Photos of Milford Sound
Ideas for experiencing Milford Sound
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Milford Sound, and which use the best local guides.
Spending a night on board the Milford Mariner is by far the best way to experience the splendor of the majestic Fiordland scenery.
This easy-paced three day valley walk encompasses crystal clear rivers, mirror-like lakes, waterfalls, reefs, sand dunes and surf, against the backdrop of the soaring, snow-capped Darran Mountains.
You will be flown down to Milford Sound in a twin-engine aircraft, from which you can enjoy the majestic views of the Southern Alps, Lake Wakatipu, Mitre Peak and the sounds.
This small group excursion gives you a taste of the majestic scenery of the Milford Track without having to dedicate 5 days to complete the whole trail. Your lunch is included, and complimentary tea and coffee are available at the start and end of the walk.