Visit Matauri Bay, New Zealand
Stretching north from the popular Bay of Islands, the Twin Coast Discovery Highway leads you through some of the Northland’s finest coastal scenery, an area which experiences far fewer visitors and therefore remains sublimely untouched.
The Matauri Bay Loop Road takes you from the main highway out toward the Mahinepua Peninsula which looks out over the picturesque Cavalli Islands scattered offshore.
The loop road skirts several stunning bays including Matauri, Te Ngaere and Wainui, home to some of the Northland’s finest small lodges and pretty, surf-driven sands.
The Rainbow Warrior
At Matauri Bay you can visit the monument to the Rainbow Warrior, the Greenpeace flagship which was deliberately sunk by the French in 1985 and is now a popular dive site.
Suggested itinerary featuring Matauri Bay
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Matauri Bay, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Matauri Bay
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Matauri Bay
- Kerikeri 21 kilometers away
- Bay of Islands 28 kilometers away
- Paihia 31 kilometers away
- Russell 31 kilometers away
- The Kauri Coast 83 kilometers away
- 90 Mile Beach & Cape Reinga 92 kilometers away
- Warkworth 166 kilometers away
- Great Barrier Island 187 kilometers away
- Devonport 214 kilometers away
- Auckland 215 kilometers away
- Waiheke Island 220 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 268 kilometers away
- Waikato 271 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 276 kilometers away
- Tauranga 357 kilometers away
- Waitomo 374 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 375 kilometers away
- Rotorua 403 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 447 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 449 kilometers away
- North Island 473 kilometers away
Photos of Matauri Bay
Accommodation choices for Matauri Bay
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Matauri Bay. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Set on 6,000 acres of land with spectacular views over Matauri Bay and the offshore Cavalli Islands, The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs is among the most exclusive and luxurious in all New Zealand.