Visit Twizel, New Zealand
Twizel, New Zealand
Located near the southern end of Lake Pukaki, Twizel is on the edge of Mount Cook National Park.
The mountain is known to the Maori as Aoraki and is the highest peak in New Zealand and Australasia and the National Park (and World Heritage Site) in which it is found is one of the country's most spectacular, with more than one third of the area permanently covered in snow and glacial ice.
The mountain peaks at 3,754 meters above sea level, towering over the expansive countryside - hidden in the mountains are magnificent glaciers including the famous Tasman Glacier which, at 17 miles in length, is one of the longest glaciers in the world to be found outside the Polar Regions.
Suggested itineraries featuring Twizel
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Twizel, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Twizel
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Twizel
- Lake Tekapo 42 kilometers away
- Mount Cook National Park 59 kilometers away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 89 kilometers away
- Lake Wanaka 91 kilometers away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 94 kilometers away
- Arrowtown 126 kilometers away
- Queenstown 143 kilometers away
- Glenorchy 152 kilometers away
- Milford Sound 179 kilometers away
- Dunedin 183 kilometers away
- The Otago Peninsula 185 kilometers away
- Hokitika 186 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 188 kilometers away
- Christchurch 219 kilometers away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 228 kilometers away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 235 kilometers away
- Punakaiki 260 kilometers away
- The Catlins 271 kilometers away
- Doubtful Sound 274 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 294 kilometers away
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 347 kilometers away
- Kaikoura 356 kilometers away
- Kahurangi National Park 415 kilometers away
- Nelson 423 kilometers away
- Blenheim 438 kilometers away
- Abel Tasman National Park 439 kilometers away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 452 kilometers away
- Picton 459 kilometers away
- Marlborough Sounds 476 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Twizel
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Twizel. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This lodge offers luxurious relaxation in the middle of a bustling region of New Zealand.
An eco-lodge with an intimate atmosphere and amiable hosts, Lakestone Lodge offers sweeping views, contemporary rooms, good food and a wide range of activities, as well as a tranquil location.
The secluded situation of the property allows you to thoroughly escape the outside world and use the property to relax and recharge. The key features of skyscape are the wood-fired outdoor bath and the glass walls and ceiling that allow you to easily watch the night sky.
With a superb location in the heart of the Mackenzie High Country, Matuka Lodge enjoys a tranquil, rural setting with spectacular mountain views and beautifully appointed rooms.