Visit Martinborough, New Zealand
Martinborough, New Zealand
Martinborough was named after John Martin (1822-92), an Irish immigrant who purchased the large Wairarapa sheep station "Huangarua" in 1879.
John created a town just north of the existing settlement giving it street names such as 'Venice', 'Panama', 'Suez' and 'New York' and creating a central square and streets laid out in a Union Jack pattern, all inspired from a world tour he took
Martinborough has now become a unique wine village, popular as a lazy and indulgent weekend retreat for Wellingtonians, with around 30 boutique vineyards, most within walking distance of the charming town square.
The region only produces 3% of New Zealand's grapes, but offers a broad range of styles, particularly known for its pinot noir.
Suggested Martinborough itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Martinborough, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Martinborough
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Martinborough
- Wairarapa & surrounds 10 kilometers away
- Greytown 16 kilometers away
- The Kapiti Coast 55 kilometers away
- Wellington 58 kilometers away
- Marlborough Sounds 115 kilometers away
- Picton 123 kilometers away
- Blenheim 131 kilometers away
- Whanganui National Park 148 kilometers away
- Nelson 183 kilometers away
- Kaikoura 199 kilometers away
- Hastings 211 kilometers away
- Abel Tasman National Park 213 kilometers away
- Tongariro National Park 222 kilometers away
- Hawke's Bay 224 kilometers away
- Napier 229 kilometers away
- Collingwood & Farewell Spit 242 kilometers away
- Kahurangi National Park 253 kilometers away
- Hanmer Springs 263 kilometers away
- Taranaki & New Plymouth 268 kilometers away
- Lake Taupo 287 kilometers away
- Waitomo 330 kilometers away
- Christchurch 347 kilometers away
- Rotorua 350 kilometers away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 354 kilometers away
- Punakaiki 358 kilometers away
- Eastland & Gisborne 360 kilometers away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 375 kilometers away
- Bay of Plenty 395 kilometers away
- Tauranga 398 kilometers away
- Hokitika 408 kilometers away
- Waikato 432 kilometers away
- Thames & Kauaeranga Valley 454 kilometers away
- Coromandel Peninsula 480 kilometers away
Photos of Martinborough
Accommodation choices for Martinborough
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Martinborough. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
The Martinborough Hotel is a wonderful property ideally located within walking distance of all the central wineries.
Located in the Wairarapa wine region, Parehua Martinborough Country Estate offers spacious and stylish accommodation, and is just a short walk from the historic Martinborough wine village.