Vietnam’s mountainous midriff provides an enjoyable temperate alternative after a hot and humid stint in the south or on the coast.
Although the population is relatively small the area has always been considered strategically important as it borders Laos and Cambodia to the west, so it is not surprising that during the Vietnam War, considerable fighting took place around Buon Ma Thuot, Pleiku and Kon Tum.
Landscape and scenery
The region (home to many ethnic minority groups or Montagnards to use the collective name given to them by the French) is renowned for its cool climate, mist-laden mountain scenery, innumerable lakes and waterfalls and friendly locals, making a visit here very appealing.
Despite this the area has retained much of its natural beauty and has only been open to foreign visitors for a little over ten years.
Places to visit in Central Highlands
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting Central Highlands, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itinerary featuring Central Highlands
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Central Highlands, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Central Highlands
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around Central Highlands
- Buon Ma Thuot Central Highlands
- Dalat Central Highlands
- Kon Tum Central Highlands
- Nha Trang 133 kilometers away
- Cat Tien National Park 159 kilometers away
- Qui Nhon 178 kilometers away
- Mui Ne & Phan Thiet 195 kilometers away
- Saigon 257 kilometers away
- Cai Be 343 kilometers away
- Hoi An 359 kilometers away
- Bho Hoong 367 kilometers away
- Can Tho 384 kilometers away
- Mekong Delta 384 kilometers away
- Chau Doc 388 kilometers away
- Bach Ma National Park 393 kilometers away
- Lang Co 401 kilometers away
- Hue 427 kilometers away
- Con Dao Islands 469 kilometers away
Photos of Central Highlands
Accommodation choices for Central Highlands
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Central Highlands. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.