Visit Washington DC, USA
From its iconic monuments and buildings to its historic neighbourhoods and free museums, the capital of the United States offers a huge array of attractions.
Consider a tour of the White House Visitor's Centre, which offers a wealth of information about one of the most powerful symbols of American history and politics. From there you can make your way to a number of moving tributes, including the Vietnam War Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial.
Washington DC is especially known for its museums. From the Holocaust to the history of space exploration and from dinosaurs to international spies, there's a museum for almost every area of interest, with many offering free admission. In addition don't miss the Library of Congress, the Supreme Court, the National Gallery of Art, the Pentagon, and the National Archives where you can see the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
Great shopping, restaurants and colonial architecture can be found in Georgetown. The Mall, a slice of greenery in the centre of town surrounded by the buildings of the Smithsonian Institution, the Washington Monument and the US Capitol, is the perfect place to enjoy a hot dog, relax and take in the sights and sounds of this lively city.
Suggested itineraries featuring Washington DC
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Washington DC, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Washington DC
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Washington DC
- Annapolis 48 kilometers away
- Baltimore 57 kilometers away
- St. Michael's 72 kilometers away
- Front Royal 101 kilometers away
- Gettysburg 106 kilometers away
- Lancaster 142 kilometers away
- Richmond 156 kilometers away
- Charlottesville 159 kilometers away
- Williamsburg 184 kilometers away
- Virginia 187 kilometers away
- Philadelphia 199 kilometers away
- Virginia Beach 246 kilometers away
- Roanoke 313 kilometers away
- New York 332 kilometers away
- Raleigh 377 kilometers away
- Ithaca 398 kilometers away
- Winston Salem 421 kilometers away
- New York State 461 kilometers away
- Buffalo 471 kilometers away
- Rochester 478 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Washington DC
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Washington DC. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Washington DC
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Washington DC, and which use the best local guides.