Visit Nosy Mangabe, Madagascar
Nosy Mangabe, Madagascar
Nosy Mangabe is a small island located in Antongil Bay two kilometres offshore from Maroantsetra.
The island has a rich history of piracy and arriving by boat it looks exactly like a pirates’ hang-out. Dense vegetation drops to large boulders and hidden coves - one of which has a rusty shipwreck emerging from the shallows.
Wildlife of Nosy Mangabe
The island is a rainforest reserve and sanctuary for the endangered aye-aye which was introduced in 1966. This is the best place in Madagascar to see these fascinating creatures and an overnight stay is recommended to give you the chance to search by torchlight. Other lemurs on the island include black and white ruffed lemur, white-fronted brown lemur and the brown mouse lemur.
As there is no accommodation on the island the only way to stay overnight is to camp. Paths through the forest can be steep so it’s a place for nimble walkers.
Map of Nosy Mangabe
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Nosy Mangabe
- Maroantsetra 6 miles away
- Masoala National Park 26 miles away
- Île Sainte-Marie 100 miles away
- Ankify 164 miles away
- Nosy Komba 170 miles away
- Baobab Beach 171 miles away
- Anjajavy Private Nature Reserve 174 miles away
- Nosy Be 181 miles away
- Ankarana Special Reserve 183 miles away
- Nosy Mitsio Archipelago 195 miles away
- Amber Mountain National Park and Joffreville 209 miles away
- Joffreville Ambohitra 211 miles away
- Northern Madagascar 217 miles away
- The Pangalanes Canal 218 miles away
- Mantadia National Park 254 miles away
- Andasibe National Park (Perinet) 255 miles away
- Antananarivo 280 miles away