Visit Milford Sound, New Zealand
Thought by the Maoris to be the work of superhuman masons, the fiords of New Zealand are stunningly beautiful, whether glistening in sunlight or dark and moody in the rain.
Milford Sound is without doubt one of the most beautiful. Here, the power of nature stuns.
Exploring Milford Sound
Mitre Peak, so-called because of its resemblance to a bishop’s mitre, is probably one of the most photographed images in New Zealand, but nothing can prepare you for the first time you see it with your own eyes - a truly spectacular vista.
Even the road to Milford Sound from Te Anau has earned World Heritage status for its scenic beauty, with lakeside forests, cascading alpine rivers and rugged mountains.
Milford Sound is the only settlement within the impressive Fiordland National Park, and both daytime and overnight cruises depart from the wharf.
Suggested itineraries featuring Milford Sound
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Milford Sound, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Milford Sound
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Milford Sound
- Glenorchy 26 miles away
- Queenstown 45 miles away
- Arrowtown 49 miles away
- Te Anau & Manapouri 53 miles away
- Lake Wanaka 60 miles away
- Doubtful Sound 65 miles away
- Haast & Lake Moeraki 78 miles away
- Twizel 112 miles away
- Mount Cook National Park 126 miles away
- Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers 134 miles away
- Lake Tekapo 135 miles away
- The Catlins 144 miles away
- Dunedin 151 miles away
- The Otago Peninsula 158 miles away
- Stewart & Ulva Islands 159 miles away
- Hokitika 204 miles away
- Arthur's Pass National Park 218 miles away
- Punakaiki 247 miles away
- Christchurch 248 miles away
- Akaroa & Banks Peninsula 258 miles away
- Hanmer Springs 288 miles away