Visit Louisbourg, Canada
Famed for its fortress, Louisbourg offers summer visitors a taste of life in 1744 as costumed animators re-enact history.
Recognizing the economic and military potential of the harbor and fishery, Louis XIV secured it for France in 1713 by constructing a well-fortified, walled city. During the 18th century Louisbourg was the third busiest seaport on the American continent but was successfully besieged by New England troops in 1745 and by British troops in 1758.
In the 1960s reconstruction began on the fortress ruins, and it became the largest project of its kind in North America. Today it is the flagship of Parks Canada’s restored properties.
The town has a theater and railway museum and is surrounded by sandy beaches.
Map of Louisbourg
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Louisbourg
- Cape Breton & Cabot Trail 52 miles away
- Ingonish 54 miles away
- Charlos Cove 81 miles away
- Spry Point 118 miles away
- Liscomb Mills 121 miles away
- Nova Scotia 131 miles away
- Pictou 133 miles away
- Îles de la Madeleine 137 miles away
- Charlottetown 153 miles away
- Prince Edward Island 164 miles away
- Cavendish 168 miles away
- Halifax 197 miles away
- West Point 216 miles away
- Riverside-Albert 230 miles away
- Lunenburg 238 miles away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 245 miles away
- Deer Lake 255 miles away
- Caraquet 269 miles away
- Gros Morne National Park 277 miles away
- Annapolis Royal 282 miles away
- Anticosti Island 284 miles away
- The Gaspé Peninsula 292 miles away
- Saint John 298 miles away
- New Brunswick 300 miles away
Photos of Louisbourg
Accommodation choices for Louisbourg
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Louisbourg. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
This hotel makes a good base for exploring Louisbourg thanks to its views sunny ocean-view rooms, a convenient location just minutes away from the fortress, and a restaurant that features costumed servers and an authentic Cape Breton menu.
Located just off Main Street, Louisbourg Harbour has eight beautifully decorated guest rooms, six of which overlook the historic harbor.