Visit Caño Negro, Costa Rica
Caño Negro is a wildlife refuge in the North of Costa Rica's Alajuela province.
The low lying wetlands and flooded forest centered around Lake Caño Negro and the channels of the Rio Frio make up an extensive reserve which is a renowned refuge for the nesting of migratory birds. The reserve is also home to a fascinating variety of mammals such as tapir, the capuchin, spider and howler species of monkey, cayman and reptiles.
In the drier season when the waters recede there is an astonishing concentration of migratory waterfowl such as storks, ibis, anhinga and cormorant which make the reserve their temporary home.
Suggested itinerary featuring Caño Negro
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Caño Negro, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Caño Negro
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Caño Negro
- Tenorio Volcano 22 miles away
- Arenal Volcano 31 miles away
- Rincón de la Vieja 37 miles away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 41 miles away
- El Silencio Lodge 58 miles away
- San Ramón 61 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 62 miles away
- Golfo de Papagayo 70 miles away
- Playa Potrero 74 miles away
- Tamarindo 82 miles away
- San José & Central Valley 83 miles away
- Punta Islita 83 miles away
- Northern Pacific Coast 83 miles away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 95 miles away
- Esterillos 97 miles away
- Central Pacific Coast 102 miles away
- Turrialba 103 miles away
- Manuel Antonio 114 miles away
- San Gerardo de Dota 115 miles away
- Dominical 131 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 164 miles away
- Manzanillo 170 miles away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 171 miles away
Accommodation choices for Caño Negro
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Caño Negro. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Natural Lodge Caño Negro is a simple but comfortable eco-lodge of 42 rooms, enjoying an unrivaled location at the edge of the renowned Caño Negro Wildlife Reserve.