Visit Caño Negro, Costa Rica
Caño Negro is a wildlife refuge in the north of Costa Rica's Alajuela province.
The low lying wetlands and flooded forest centered around Lake Caño Negro and the channels of the Rio Frio make up an extensive reserve which is a renowned refuge for the nesting of migratory birds. The reserve is also home to a fascinating variety of mammals such as tapir, the capuchin, spider and howler species of monkey, caiman and reptiles.
In the drier season when the waters recede there is an astonishing concentration of migratory waterfowl such as storks, ibis, anhinga and cormorant which make the reserve their temporary home.
Suggested itinerary featuring Caño Negro
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Caño Negro, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Caño Negro
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Caño Negro
- Tenorio Volcano 35 kilometers away
- Arenal Volcano 49 kilometers away
- Rincón de la Vieja 59 kilometers away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 65 kilometers away
- El Silencio Lodge 93 kilometers away
- San Ramón 97 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 99 kilometers away
- Golfo de Papagayo 113 kilometers away
- Playa Potrero 118 kilometers away
- Tamarindo 132 kilometers away
- San José & Central Valley 133 kilometers away
- Punta Islita 133 kilometers away
- Northern Pacific Coast 134 kilometers away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 153 kilometers away
- Esterillos 156 kilometers away
- Central Pacific Coast 164 kilometers away
- Turrialba 165 kilometers away
- Manuel Antonio 183 kilometers away
- San Gerardo de Dota 184 kilometers away
- Dominical 210 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 263 kilometers away
- Manzanillo 273 kilometers away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 274 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Caño Negro
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Caño Negro. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Natural Lodge Caño Negro is a simple but comfortable eco-lodge of 42 rooms, enjoying an unrivaled location at the edge of the renowned Caño Negro Wildlife Reserve.