Visit Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Once a delightful little 'surf' town, Tamarindo's popularity has created a demand for development and as such is nowadays somewhat of a sprawling mass of hotels, restaurants and shopping centers.
It is still growing and as such construction is prevalent throughout the town. However, locationwise it is the most easily accessible place to visit on the Nicoya Peninsula and the beach is superb - a three and a half kilometer stretch of fine sand and warm blue water.
Nature is abundant - howler monkeys can often be seen and heard swinging on branches throughout the area. It's ideal if you are looking to be based in an upbeat, busy area and there are some fine hotel options.
Tamarindo Beach is part of a bay formed by a cape, Cabo Velas (velas is Spanish for sails, or sailfish). Playa Grande lies to the north of Tamarindo Beach inside the bay. South of Tamarindo Bay there is another beautiful estuary and beach, Playa Langosta. Both Playa Grande and Playa Langosta are protected nesting areas for the giant leatherback turtle, and are part of the Costa Rican national park system. These beaches are the major nesting areas worldwide for the turtles, which arrive from October to March to lay their eggs. Local tours led by official guides are available to take visitors to see this incredible spectacle.
Suggested itineraries featuring Tamarindo
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Tamarindo, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tamarindo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tamarindo
- Playa Potrero 18 kilometers away
- Golfo de Papagayo 48 kilometers away
- Punta Islita 69 kilometers away
- Rincon de la Vieja 82 kilometers away
- Tenorio Volcano 99 kilometers away
- Northern Pacific Coast 110 kilometers away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 119 kilometers away
- Arenal Volcano 125 kilometers away
- Cano Negro 132 kilometers away
- San Ramon 152 kilometers away
- El Silencio Lodge 168 kilometers away
- Esterillos 170 kilometers away
- Central Pacific Coast 189 kilometers away
- San José & Central Valley 196 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 201 kilometers away
- Manuel Antonio 212 kilometers away
- San Gerardo de Dota 238 kilometers away
- Turrialba 240 kilometers away
- Dominical 247 kilometers away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 258 kilometers away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 295 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 345 kilometers away
- Manzanillo 356 kilometers away
Photos of Tamarindo
Accommodation choices for Tamarindo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tamarindo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.