Visit Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Nature in Tamarindo is abundant - howler monkeys can often be seen and heard swinging on branches throughout the area. It's ideal if you are looking to be based in an upbeat, busy area and there are some fine hotel options here.
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Once a delightful little 'surf' town, Tamarindo's popularity has created a demand for development and as such is nowadays somewhat of a sprawling mass of hotels, restaurants and shopping centres.
It is still growing and as such construction is prevalent throughout the town. However, locationwise it is the most easily accessible place to visit on the Nicoya Peninsula and the beach is superb - a three and a half kilometre stretch of fine sand and warm blue water.
Nature is abundant - howler monkeys can often be seen and heard swinging on branches throughout the area. It's ideal if you are looking to be based in an upbeat, busy area and there are some fine hotel options.
Tamarindo Beach is part of a bay formed by a cape, Cabo Velas (velas is Spanish for sails, or sailfish). Playa Grande lies to the north of Tamarindo Beach inside the bay. South of Tamarindo Bay there is another beautiful estuary and beach, Playa Langosta. Both Playa Grande and Playa Langosta are protected nesting areas for the giant leatherback turtle, and are part of the Costa Rican national park system. These beaches are the major nesting areas worldwide for the turtles, which arrive from October to March to lay their eggs. Local tours led by official guides are available to take visitors to see this incredible spectacle.
Suggested Tamarindo itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Tamarindo, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Tamarindo
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Tamarindo
- Playa Potrero 11 miles away
- Golfo de Papagayo 30 miles away
- Punta Islita 43 miles away
- Rincon de la Vieja 51 miles away
- Tenorio Volcano 62 miles away
- Northern Pacific Coast 68 miles away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 74 miles away
- Arenal Volcano & the Cloudforest Reserves 78 miles away
- Cano Negro 82 miles away
- San Ramon 95 miles away
- El Silencio Lodge 105 miles away
- Esterillos 106 miles away
- Central Pacific Coast 117 miles away
- San José & Central Valley 122 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 125 miles away
- Manuel Antonio 132 miles away
- San Gerardo de Dota 148 miles away
- Turrialba 149 miles away
- Dominical 153 miles away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 160 miles away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 183 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 215 miles away
- Manzanillo 221 miles away
Accommodation choices for Tamarindo
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Tamarindo. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.