The Osa Peninsula is one of Costa Rica’s most unique and remote areas — tucked away in the south-west it is much less accessible than other parts of the country, which only adds to its appeal.
Travellers who make the effort are rewarded by beautiful beaches, meandering river-ways, tangled mangroves, swamps and lush, dense rainforest.
Corcovado National Park
The biological diversity in the area is huge, much of it protected since 1975 as the Corcovado National Park. The park is particularly excellent for spotting rare tropical forest mammals, especially margays, ocelots, tapirs and even — on occasion — jaguars. The birdwatching opportunities are fantastic too, with hundreds of different species, most easily found on early morning walks.
Isla del Caño
For snorkelling and scuba-diving Isla del Caño has pristine coral reefs thronged with schools of tropical fish as well as turtles, sharks and rays.
Most of the accommodation on the peninsula is only accessible by boat, which in itself is an experience, zooming along the Pacific coastline to your hotel. Upon arrival it’s easy to feel you are staying on an isolated tropical island, as the lodges are miles apart and often the only sound that will interrupt your thoughts is the screech of macaws or the howl of monkeys.
This is truly a fabulous way to escape and a real highlight of any trip to Costa Rica.
Suggested itineraries featuring Corcovado & Osa Peninsula
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Corcovado & Osa Peninsula, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Corcovado & Osa Peninsula
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Corcovado & Osa Peninsula
- Dominical 41 miles away
- Manuel Antonio 58 miles away
- San Gerardo de Dota 62 miles away
- Central Pacific Coast 71 miles away
- Esterillos 80 miles away
- Turrialba 85 miles away
- San José & Central Valley 91 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 95 miles away
- Manzanillo 98 miles away
- San Ramón 111 miles away
- El Silencio Lodge 114 miles away
- Northern Pacific Coast 116 miles away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 122 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 125 miles away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 134 miles away
- Arenal Volcano 141 miles away
- Punta Islita 142 miles away
- Tenorio Volcano 165 miles away
- Caño Negro 171 miles away
- Tamarindo 183 miles away
- Rincón de la Vieja 186 miles away
- Playa Potrero 187 miles away
- Golfo de Papagayo 202 miles away
Photos of Corcovado & Osa Peninsula
Accommodation choices for Corcovado & Osa Peninsula
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Corcovado & Osa Peninsula. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.