The town of Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui lies two hours northeast of San José but it's the surrounding area that is of interest to the traveller - it is wonderful for the wildlife and nature enthusiast, less-visited than Tortuguero or Monteverde.
Fast becoming an important ecotourism destination Sarapiqui lies near the base of the Cordillera Central range at the convergence of the Rio Sarapiqui and Rio Puerto Viejo, surrounded by agricultural plantations and lush forests. Right in the heart lies La Selva Biological Station which provides a superb scientific insight into the life of the rainforest.
Flora and fauna
It is home to some 400 species of birds, 450 species of trees and over 100 species of mammals and is situated in one of the last remaining areas of primary rainforest in Costa Rica.
Accommodation and activities
Lodges are simple but if you are looking for something a little off the beaten track it is well worth spending a couple of nights here.
The area is increasingly becoming a focus of adventure activity with ziplines, canopy walkways, tubing, river-rafting and horseriding all on offer for your enjoyment.
Suggested itineraries featuring Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
- El Silencio Lodge 26 miles away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 36 miles away
- San José & Central Valley 37 miles away
- San Ramon 41 miles away
- Turrialba 45 miles away
- Arenal Volcano 48 miles away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 51 miles away
- Cano Negro 62 miles away
- San Gerardo de Dota 64 miles away
- Central Pacific Coast 70 miles away
- Tenorio Volcano 70 miles away
- Esterillos 73 miles away
- Manuel Antonio 75 miles away
- Dominical 84 miles away
- Northern Pacific Coast 87 miles away
- Rincon de la Vieja 94 miles away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 102 miles away
- Punta Islita 104 miles away
- Manzanillo 109 miles away
- Playa Potrero 120 miles away
- Golfo de Papagayo 124 miles away
- Tamarindo 125 miles away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 125 miles away
Accommodation choices for Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, and which use the best local guides.